Friday 5 February 2010

Slouch bow hat

So it has taken me a while to actually use this blog, and today is my start!! I hope to use this blog to present a lot of my creative projects. At the moment this is mainly knitted and crochet projects, however I do hope to also start dressmaking too. This shall contain projects of already published patterns (generally altered to own statisfaction) and my own personal designs.
As you can see from the pictures I have added a hat that I designed myself. I have made this for my housemate for her birthday and the pattern is below. This is a classic slouch rib hat that is folded over, and has a crocheted bow. It is a simple pattern and could be a perfect starting hat project for beginner knitters. It uses the two basic stitches: knit and purl. The bow is crocheted, it could be knitted, however crochet holds the shape a lot better than if knitted. The crochet includes the chain and half double crochet stitches.

Yarn: Robin Chunky - cream
- Bulky/12ply

Needles:
Circular 6.5mm (10.5 US)
Crochet needle: 4.5 hook

Size: Average ladies


Photobucket



Photobucket

Photobucket

Abbreviations:

k: knit
p: purl
k or p 2tog: knit or purl 2 stitches together
ch: chain stitch (crochet)
hdc: half double chain stitch (crochet)
*_*: repeat for the following rows

Pattern:

Cast on 81 stitches on the circular needles (slightly loose and not too tight)

- Join the stitches. Move the first stitch onto the other needle and knit them together (2Tog). Then slip this back onto the other needle.

- Each row should consist of 80 stitches.

- k1, p1 for all 80 stitches for 65 rows.

Photobucket

- Descending rows: k1, k2tog for 7 rows.

- Take the hat off the circular needles, and cut the wool leaving a long tail of wool.

- Using a wool/knitting sewing needle thread through all of the stitchs, pull tight and secure tight.

- Thread the wool through the stiches descretley.

- Fold over part of the hat of your choice: 10 stitches were folded over for this hat. Secure by sewing them together every 2 inches.

Bow:

Photobucket



Row 1: ch on 40 stitches
R0w 2: ch 2, hdc in each ch stitch
Row 3: repeat row 2 for 9 rows.
- Pull up last loop and pull thread through and weave through descretley.

Bow centre:

Row 1: ch on 15 stitches
Row 2: ch 2, hdc in each ch stitch
- Pull up last loop and pull thread through and weave through descretley.

Sew the bow centre around the bow, ensuring to gather it so it all twists out.

Sew the finished bow onto the hat. Do this at a slight angle, as this is more flattereing.

FINISHED: enjoy wearing this hat

I plan to do another exactly the same for myself. I shall be using a different wool though, which will change the pattern, I shall post this too! Below is a picture of my friend who I made the hat for!! :)

Photobucket





1 comment: